Lombard Office
Text Us Now

Parental Alienation: What Should I Do if My Spouse is Trying to Turn My Child Against Me? 

Posted on April 14, 2023 in Child Custody

arlington heights custody lawyerOne of the most challenging aspects of divorce is the impact it can have on children. In some cases, one parent may try to turn the child against the other parent, which can cause emotional trauma and damage to the parent-child relationship. If you believe this is happening, it may be worth contacting an experienced family law attorney, who may have advice on how to navigate the situation best. In addition, a lawyer with experience has likely seen this situation before and may have insight on how to proceed.

Steps to Dealing with Parental Alienation

Here are some steps you should take if your spouse is attempting to sabotage the relationship between you and your child, including:

  • Document the behavior – If you believe your spouse is trying to turn your child against you, it is essential to document the behavior. For example, record conversations or interactions with your spouse or child that suggest parental alienation occurs.

  • Seek legal advice – If you suspect your spouse is engaging in parental alienation, seeking legal advice from an experienced family law attorney is crucial. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and can take legal action to protect your interests. 

  • Communicate with your child – It is important to maintain open and honest communication with your child and to let them know that you love them and want to be part of their life. Please encourage them to express their feelings and opinions and to communicate with you regularly. 

  • Participate in parenting time – When spending time with your child, make every effort to participate and maintain a positive and supportive r relationship with your child. 

  • Consider therapy – If your child is exhibiting signs of emotional distress or struggling with the divorce, consider seeking treatment. A qualified therapist can help your child cope with the changes and emotions associated with the divorce and can help repair the parent-child relationship.

  • Take legal action – If your spouse’s behavior is causing emotional harm to your child or is interfering with your relationship with your child, it may be necessary to take legal action. An experienced family law attorney can help you file a motion to modify custody or parenting time or pursue other legal remedies. 

Contact an Arlington Heights, IL Family Law Attorney

Contact the practiced Arlington Heights family law lawyers with A. Traub & Associates for additional information. Call 847-749-4182 for a private consultation.


Source - https://www.ncsc.org/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/42152/parental_alienation_Lewis.pdf


Illinois State Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association DuPage County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association DuPage County Bar Association Illinois Association Criminal Defense Lawyers American Inns of Court DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers National Association of Woman Business Owners
Back to Top