Lombard Office
Text Us Now

Arlington Heights Post-Divorce Modification Lawyer

Buffalo Grove divorce decree modification attorney

Attorneys for Changes to Divorce Orders in Mount Prospect and Rolling Meadows

Due to the complex legal requirements and the strong emotions involved in the process of ending a marriage, couples are often relieved when their divorce is complete. However, people's lives can change in many ways in the years following their divorce, and situations can arise in which the terms of their divorce decree may need to be modified. Court approval must typically be obtained before any modifications can be made.

If you wish to make changes to your divorce decree, or if your ex-spouse is asking for a post-divorce modification, A. Traub & Associates can provide the legal representation you need. We will help you file the proper petition or respond to a petition made by your ex-spouse, and we will work with you to help ensure that your interests are protected in the modifications that are made.

Divorce Decree Modifications

The decisions made during a divorce about the division of marital property are final, and they cannot be modified after the divorce is completed. However, some other terms of a divorce decree may be changed, including:

  • Parental responsibility and parenting time - Parents may ask for changes to their rights and responsibilities for making decisions about their children, or they may request an adjustment to the schedule for the time they will spend with their children. These changes may be requested because a parent's work schedules have changed, because of children's changing needs, because of parental relocation, or because a parent wishes to spend more time with their child.
  • Child support - Parents may request a modification to child support payments in order to reflect changes to parents' financial resources or children's needs. For child support to be modified, a parent must typically demonstrate that there has been a significant change in circumstances for either parent or for the child, such as the loss of a job, a disability that has affected a parent's ability to work, or a change in a child's educational or medical needs. Child support may also be modified in some cases if at least 36 months have passed since a child support order was created or modified, and if the calculation of child support obligations under the current laws in Illinois would differ by at least 20% from the current child support obligations. Child support will typically only be terminated once a child reaches the age of 18 or graduates from high school.
  • Spousal maintenance - The spousal support paid by one spouse to the other may be modified or terminated if it can be demonstrated that either spouse has experienced a substantial change in circumstances. If a spouse who is receiving maintenance gets remarried, the other spouse's obligation to pay maintenance will be terminated as of the date of the marriage. Alimony may also be terminated if the recipient spouse begins cohabiting with a new partner.

Contact a Palatine Divorce Decree Modification Attorney

When changes occur in your life, you may need to make sure the terms of your divorce are adjusted accordingly. By updating your divorce decree, you can avoid any potential consequences for failing to follow a court order. If you need to make changes to your divorce order, or if you need to respond to your ex-spouse's request for a modification, A. Traub & Associates can help you make sure the proper procedures are followed. If necessary, we will advocate on your behalf in court to ensure that the modifications made will meet your needs.

To set up a confidential consultation with a family law attorney, contact us at 847-749-4182. We assist with post-divorce modifications in Arlington Heights, Elk Grove Village, Mt. Prospect, Buffalo Grove, Des Plaines, Long Grove, Palatine, Hoffman Estates, Schaumburg, Wheeling, Rolling Meadows, Inverness, and throughout Northwest Cook County.

Illinois State Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association DuPage County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association DuPage County Bar Association Illinois Association Criminal Defense Lawyers American Inns of Court DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers National Association of Woman Business Owners
Back to Top