Lombard Office
Text Us Now

Ever Since My Divorce, My Child Has been Acting Out at School and at Home. What Should I Do?

 Posted on March 13, 2023 in Divorce

wheaton divorce lawyerUnfortunately, it is not uncommon for children to act out in school and at home following a divorce as they struggle to accept the changes in their family dynamic. Today, we will discuss what a concerned parent can do if their child begins acting out after a divorce.

If you are worried about child-related legal concerns before, during, or after a divorce, contact a divorce lawyer for help. An attorney can help you establish or modify the allocation of parenting time and parental responsibilities, enforce a child support order, and address other family law concerns. 

Tips for Parents with Children Struggling to Cope with a Divorce

Divorce can be hard on children. Here are some tips to help parents help their children get through this challenging time in their life:

  • Communicate with your child’s teacher – If your child starts acting out at school, it is essential to communicate with their teacher. Explain the situation to the teacher and ask for their support in helping your child cope with the changes in the family dynamic. The teacher may be able to offer additional resources or support to help your child.

  • Seek counseling – It may benefit you to seek counseling for your child. A counselor or therapist can help your child work through their emotions and develop healthy coping mechanisms. 

  • Be patient and understanding – It is important to be patient and understanding with your child during this difficult time. Recognize they are struggling to cope with the changes in the family. Offer them support and understanding. 

  • Maintain a routine – Children can benefit significantly from the structure of a set schedule. Try to maintain a consistent routine at home, which may help your child feel more secure as they will know what to expect. 

  • Seek legal advice – If you believe your child’s behavior is particularly challenging or there are issues related to custody or visitation, it may be helpful to seek legal advice. An attorney can provide guidance and support and help you navigate any legal issues that may arise. 

Contact an Arlington Heights, IL Divorce Attorney

If you are struggling with child-related legal concerns during a divorce such as child custody or child support, consider contacting the experienced Arlington Heights, IL divorce lawyers with A. Traub & Associates. Our skilled team will work to understand your unique situation and needs and design a course of action that will help you address the concerns effectively. Call 847-749-4182 for a private consultation.





Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association DuPage County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association DuPage County Bar Association Illinois Association Criminal Defense Lawyers American Inns of Court DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers National Association of Woman Business Owners
Back to Top