Lombard Office
Text Us Now

3 Tips for Parenting Across State Lines

 Posted on June 20, 2024 in Child Custody

Arlington Heights, IL divorce lawyerLearning how to parent after divorce requires making some adjustments. This is especially true if the parents live in different states, which can happen for various reasons. A parent may need to move for work, for example, or might need to care for a family member in a different state. This will affect that parent’s parenting time, which is how Illinois refers to physical custody.

Details about your parenting time — such as scheduling and communication — are outlined in a document called a parenting plan. A parenting plan is a legal document that married parents of minor children must submit to the court after filing for the dissolution of marriage. Once the court approves a parenting plan, it becomes legally binding.

One parent moving out of state usually requires changes to be made to the parenting plan. It is best to discuss these changes with an Illinois parenting plan attorney who can help you navigate the challenges that come when you are coparenting a minor child and need to move.

Here are three tips for parenting a child when one parent lives outside Illinois.

Pay Attention to Jurisdiction Laws

If you move out of Illinois, you will live under another court’s jurisdiction. Any legal issues you have will be decided by a court in the state where you now reside, except for issues regarding parenting. Your parenting plan will still be under the Illinois court’s authority. If you want to make any changes to the parenting plan, you need to do it through the original Illinois divorce court.

Expect Some Hiccups

If you are going to have a long-distance relationship with your child, expect some disappointments. Your child may not always show up for your regular Zoom calls, for instance. This might be because:

  • Your child decided to go out with friends and forgot to tell you.

  • Your co-parent was too late bringing the child back from an outing.

  • Your child is upset at you and refuses to attend the call.

The important thing to remember is that while this can be extremely frustrating and hurtful, pointing fingers is not helpful and can make the situation worse. Manage your expectations so you are not blindsided when these things happen.

Strengthen Communication

If you move away from the child, communication will have to make up for your physical absence. You may want to arrange with your co-parent to call your child more often. You may also want to take this opportunity to help your child communicate. Children often do not have the communication skills to keep up a long-distance relationship. If it is your co-parent who moves away, you can still help teach your child these valuable communication skills.

Contact an Arlington Heights, IL Parenting Plan Attorney

Whenever a parent moves out of state, modifications will probably need to be made to the parenting plan. Hire an Arlington Heights, IL parenting plan attorney who can help you make those changes. Our experienced attorneys will advise you on what changes will be the most beneficial for you and your child, and we will work with the court to approve a modified parenting plan. Call A. Traub & Associates at 847-749-4182 today.

Share this post:
Illinois State Bar Association Northwest Suburban Bar Association DuPage County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association DuPage County Bar Association Illinois Association Criminal Defense Lawyers American Inns of Court DuPage Association of Woman Lawyers National Association of Woman Business Owners
Back to Top